Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Honest Walter Röhrl quote about his relationship to Porsche

bluelines:
    RC:
    SciFrog:

If this place moves to a social media outlet you'd have to count me out...

It would only be a "side show" for those who love to show off (or expose themselves). Smiley

I am sometimes quite speechless who gets test cars from car manufacturers. Yes, some of their reviews, articles are quite readable and some are even enjoyable but you can clearly sense often that they actually have no connection whatsoever to the product they are testing, simply because they drive home in a Mazda. Smiley Sorry but this is the truth. Smiley

So why don't "we" get cars? The Terminator impersonator (a.k.a. getawaydriver on YouTube) seem to get his hands on all new Porsche cars.

He worked for Porsche (not a a dealership) in the past and I do not know his current connections too well. I assume he has a certain contact there which supports him.  Smiley

"We" do not get cars because we actually never requested them. However, judging by the official contacts I have to Porsche and judging by my private contacts, I'd say that Porsche is more interested in keeping this on a low (public) level. Why? I don't know. Maybe they don't think Rennteam is important (although I know how many cars they sold through "us", especially high end models) or maybe they don't like what we are doing or they do not consider Rennteam "worthy" enough, I don't have a clue.

Truth is: We never officially tried to get test cars, we never made an official request. I know, I know, why would they give us cars if we don't ask for them but the problem is that Rennteam is a registered company in Germany and I do not have the right or the proper authorization or documents to request anything from Porsche. CR could do that but unfortunately he doesn't seem to care much about Rennteam, other than paying for the server and running cost (which we really appreciate but this doesn't really help with the other things).

I tried to get a few "signals" from Porsche, if they would want to "support" us (by providing cars for example, not money or similar stuff or course) but so far, it was always "you are welcome as a private person but keep Rennteam out of it". Smiley

The "test car" situation and getting invited to official events is something we may need to work on but since I cannot "speak" for Rennteam because I have no legal rights, it is difficult. Smiley

I wish they would contact me and just discuss this but I cannot officially request anything since I don't have the proper "tools" (company paper, etc.). I know they read and monitor this forum but so far, there was no sign that they would be interested in providing test cars or any other "support". 

Yes, I have the proper technical tools to shoot photos and videos, maybe not as professional as Chris Harris but I have friends and many users here are also very talented. Time is money though, so we really would need to get current models as test cars. A good friend works for a small car  magazine in Germany and they usually have to wait 6-12 months(!) for the proper test car they requested. This is just way too long. Who cares about a 991.2 facelift test-drive 6 or 12 months after the car has been put on the market? First owners get their cars in december and first reviews will be published in september.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

There's plenty of other things they could do to keep us enthusiasts happy, too (doesn't necessarily need to be free cars) - some kind of access to hospitality at racing events, discounts on PSDS or Experience centres.. Tech sessions at dealers or whatever.. I'm sure it would do no harm in keeping that enthusiasm alive and keep us writing positive stuff on the web (not to mention learning more about what makes us tick)..

--

2015 911 GT3, 2011 987S, 1964 Type 1

Without 960, I am afraid Porsche will soon lose me as a customer.

They will still get you if you buy a lambo or an R8...

DaveGordon:

There's plenty of other things they could do to keep us enthusiasts happy, too (doesn't necessarily need to be free cars) - some kind of access to hospitality at racing events, discounts on PSDS or Experience centres.. Tech sessions at dealers or whatever.. I'm sure it would do no harm in keeping that enthusiasm alive and keep us writing positive stuff on the web (not to mention learning more about what makes us tick)..

--

2015 911 GT3, 2011 987S, 1964 Type 1

I certainly agree with that  - at Goodwood Festival of Speed I go to the Skoda stand, show my key and get invited in for free cake and refreshments as a thank you for being a Skoda customer. At Porsche Cafe Le Mans I get turned away as I have not got any corporate invitations or paid a three figure sum to be admitted. Well, at least humble Skoda are grateful for my patronage! Smiley

--

Porsche Boxster GTS Carrara white / Skoda Octavia Mk.3 daily drive

AMG has an AMG owner forum and even better, they are offering a direct contact to AMG employees/engineers in that forum (you can also ask questions but questions about future models won't be answered of course but still...pretty neat service) and even events. They know how to connect to their customers.

Porsche has...basically nothing. yes This is so sad and disappointing.

Btw: I wasn't asking Porsche for free cars, I was asking for test cars (meaning: we get new models from them to do some test-drives and we would publish reviews and photos/videos in return). Of course Porsche cannot give every user of a car forum a free ride in a Porsche, this would be too much to ask. 

I think Porsche is missing an opportunity here, a Porsche community would be great. They could even create some sort of closed forum (similar to AMG) for owners only, where you need to register with your VIN. Moderators would make sure that everything runs smoothly and users could ask questions and get direct replies from Porsche (or their dealers, depending on the matter). I know that Porsche prefers to leave customer service with dealers but I really think Porsche is missing a huge opportunity here.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

AMG Private Lounge is quite good. I have got calendars and posters from there.

I even won a trip to Brackley to see AMG's F1 operation, but sadly was unable to go as it clashed with an existing holiday booking.

On another note after Ferrari offering a full nav and Carplay retrofit to some old cars, now Aston is offering a full factory modern bluetooth retrofit for my 08 Roadster at a reasonable price... You can only dream Porsche would do that...

SciFrog:

On another note after Ferrari offering a full nav and Carplay retrofit to some old cars, now Aston is offering a full factory modern bluetooth retrofit for my 08 Roadster at a reasonable price... You can only dream Porsche would do that...

What do you think this is? Smiley

headimage1.jpg

Btw: Someone who recently sat in a 991.2 facelift claims that he saw Carplay support in the new PCM system. Keep in mind that this was no final production car. However, this also means that the new PCM is "ready" for it.

--

Factory?

SciFrog:

Factory?

Yes, don't you see the Porsche logo? It has been specifically designed for older Porsche 911 and includes a navigation system, streaming capabilities and even a handsfree BT option for smartphones. The unit's amplifier is compatible to the original speakers and sound systems. Price is around 1200 EUR incl. VAT.

--

Older 911... How about all the Cayenne and 996 Porsches? Anyhow that's nice.

SciFrog:

You're making a good point here but apparently there has been lots of demand from owners of "older" 911. The Cayenne and 996 models are "passing" from one hand to the other, not really cars people would want to keep their whole life (for now).

--

RC:
    SciFrog:

You're making a good point here but apparently there has been lots of demand from owners of "older" 911. The Cayenne and 996 models are "passing" from one hand to the other, not really cars people would want to keep their whole life (for now).

I guess the Cayennes and the 996  would be the one that would need more this "upgrade".  In my vintage 911s I use the Iphone for navigation  , simply because those modern radios (this Porsche and the Bexer Mexico before that) do not fit well with a vintage dashboard (of course this is a personal opinion) and also because a radio in a pre-bumper 911 is not something you will want to listen given the mechanical and wind noise the car makes, but to each its own I guess. Funny that Porsche uses a 911 2.7 RS  to showcase this radio.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    811840 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    452612 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    271869 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    91777 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    8521 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

890713 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    847991 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM