Infrastructure was/is/will always be the weakest link in the adoption of EVs. Charging stations NEED to be as dense as gas stations. Especially when charging is slower than filling a gas tank even with the fastest charging car. 

Certain people 'think' public charging is over rated when there is home charging. That's completely wrong. They aren't the same. Most people won't have access to those, i.e. street parking or parkades. And while some new build apartment complexes have chargers, those are limited in number and are also shared by many. 

Tesla already have the best public charging network out there, and if that's still inadequate for your use case, then EVs aren't for you yet. Maybe never will be.

EVs are a solution for urban city driving. They do clean up the air pollution in populated area, not that they 'clean' it up but shifted the pollution somewhere else. Longer drives not so much with the lack of infrastructure as you noted. Some diehards will say NO, it's doable for them or whatever, they say they will hyper mile the drive and/or stop a few more times. That's like me saying sure it's doable to head to Home Depot and buy a couple yards of soil in the 918, I just have to repackage them into smaller bags to fit in the front trunk and do 500 trips. It's doable, right? What's the point. Proper tools for the proper job.

Of all the cities in the world, my city is the most suited for EVs. We have the highest gas price in all of North America, and we have the cleanest and one of the cheapest electricity as ours come from hydro power. The city also isn't too spread out, it's under 100km round trip commute for 99% of the population. No surprise then for 2023, a full 25% of all new car sales is EV/hybrids but overall, the total on the road hovers around 10% or so. Many lives in high-rise with no easy access to chargers and public chargers are not great in numbers. 

--